Nuts, berries, carrots and apples in a grab and go energy boost.
I ran out of eggs so I improvised.
And while I was improvising, I improvised pretty much everything and just LOOK at how pretty these came out!
What you need
- 8×8 square pan
- Large bowl and medium bowl
- Parchment paper
- Grater or food processor
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda, aluminium free preferably
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 lg eggs or 4 flax eggs (see bottom right of written recipe
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 apple 🍏 grated
- 1/2 cup dry cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
This is how we do it
- GREASE an 8×8 glass bake pan and line with parchment (grease will hold the parchment in place) also cut slits in each corner and the paper will settle in nicely.
- MIX dry ingredients in large bowl.
- COMBINE eggs and oil and vanilla
- ADD into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in grated fruit and veg, nuts and whatever’s left.
- Bake at 350 for 45 min, ready when centre springs back.
- Remove from pan by grabbing the parchment paper let cool on a rack.
I’ll be honest. I wasn’t sure this would have the stick togetherness required to keep all those grated carrots and apple from falling apart.
But she rose and does NOT fall apart when held in your hand. Yay!
Flax seed eggs – mix 1 tbsp flax with 2.5 tbsp water (per egg) let sit 5 min.
Use what you’ve got. Don’t have coconut oil use olive oil,
Sugar is pretty much the devil no matter what you do BUT using non refined sugar like coconut or date sugar, honey or maple syrup is recognizable by your body and processed in a different way so as to not create the sugar crash that white sugar does.
Cut these squares up and throw them in the freezer.
Grab for a great on the go snack.