Life long love affair with spaghetti right here!
I’m 1st generation Polish and growing up in West End Toronto I fondly remember Christmas dinner preparations. They were, let’s say not super traditional.
It was just me and my mom. A huge Christmas turkey dinner seemed ridiculous and to be honest neither of us loved turkey. So she’d ask me what I wanted for Christmas dinner.
I always said spaghetti 🍝
Every year became the spaghetti dinner Christmas, a new tradition!
1st meal I ever cooked in my 1st apartment for my 1st boyfriend’s mom was…spaghetti.
My recipe has evolved over time as it should, containing more whole ingredients and no prepared spaghetti sauce cans.
I still love it!
This here is my favourite recipe to date. It’s fast (30 min), it’s easy (promise) and it’s from scratch (real food items no fillers or preservatives).
what you need
- Pot for spaghetti noodles
- Frying pan for prep
- Pot (medium) for sauce simmering
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 3/4 cup each, finely chopped
- Green pepper, carrots and celery
- 1 med onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- S and P to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
this is how we do it
- HEAT evoo up in a pan, add onions, carrots, celery and green peppers, sprinkle with salt and simmer 20 minutes
- ADD garlic in the last minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, sprinkle with salt (always tasting) SIMMER 30 min
- Prepare the noodles as per directions – al dente is best. RESERVE some pasta water when done
- If the sauce looks too thick for your liking add pasta water little bit at a time. Also do a taste test to adjust flavours as needed.
This sauce is so good! And made with items you have on hand.
Takes as much time to make as the noodles and the flavours are perfect.
You can use this sauce on a chili dog (thicker version), chicken parmesan, and as the sauce you use for lasagna!
Wanna change it up a little why not do a spaghetti and meatballs night with this great meatball recipe
Whether this is the first meal you’ve ever tried to make or your a veteran entertainer having friends over, it’s a winner.
Why not add some meat-a-balls to this sauce?
Life’s all about exploring the pasta-bilities!