Here’s a great staple recipe to shake up your side dish and/or base routine.
It’s a great way to give you and rice a bit of space.
You can use this farro / lentil mix in your salads, veggie bowls, wraps, stir fry’s chili’s , curry and soups.
2 ingredients is all it takes and you got yourself another menu option.
A simple, and delicious dish that is packed with protein and fibre!
Protein: 28 grams
Fibre: 26 grams
It’s possible you didn’t even know you needed this in your life 🙂
what you need
- Fine strainer
- 1/2 cup dry lentils ( rinsed )
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 bay leaf ( optional)
- Pinch salt
this is how we do it
- Rinse lentils, I used green this time
- Get 3 1/2 cups water boiling
- Add lentils and farro, bay leaf and salt
- Simmer for 18 min (you don’t want mush so check every now and again with a sample from the pot)
- Remove from heat, drain and enjoy!
Farro is a Mediterranean grain high in fibre with a chewy texture and a rich nutty flavour.
This is the one I use because I love Bob’s Red Mill EVERYTHING! His line is also widely available in the health food section of most grocery stores.
There isn’t much expansion as both the lentils and the farro hold their original shape. All the water will not be absorbed during cooking so be sure to keep a close eye on your pot!