This curried lentil salad is so versatile and so very FRESH tasting it will take your taste buds on vacation.
The curry is oh so mild acting more like a cheerleader to all the other ingredients rather than the main player.
This salad can be made with the farro & lentil rice substitute in a previous post OR to make it gluten-free it’s base can be just the lentils. These options are equally excellent.
The sweet with the earthy, the zesty with the nutty; this lentil salad is a whole chorus of flavour!
Let’s go on a trip shall we?
what you need
- metal fine strainer
- planer or zester for the lime peel (a fork is also an option)
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- Farro / lentil base (see link above) OR 2 cups dry green lentils
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced fine
- 1/3 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry cranberries
- 1 diced green apple or firm mango, diced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, plain either lightly toasted or not
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp each the 3 c’s: curry, cinnamon, cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
this is how we do it
- Rinse the green lentils and cook in enough water so theres 2” above the lentils for 18 min, drain
- While lentils cook combine the lime, vinegar, honey and spices til well blended in a medium size bowl
- Add in the remaining ingredients mix gently
- Add in the lentils and mix gently
Let sit refrigerated for at least 2 hours.
This lentil salad can be used as a side, a dip with tortillas or pitas or as a wickedly good lunch with any leftover protein mixed in.
I keep this recipe close when I travel. It’s always welcomed warmly by friends and highly customizable.
Change the sunflower seeds to almond slices or Pepitas.
Change the apple to a mango or pear.
Any vinegar will work.
Any dried berries will work.
Substitute fresh parsley for the cilantro or mint.
And now I have FINALLY added this gem online and will no longer need to carry the recipe as a reminder to keep this in my rotation of eating!
Note: best enjoyed with good friends outdoors❤️