Before you click delete seeing a cast iron pan on an open fire 🔥 WAIT!
You don’t need those things to make this spectacularly easy and impressive instant pot French Onion Soup.
Just some onions, Swiss brick cheese, butter and bread and a couple spices.
For reals, that’s it.
Prepare for applause when you serve this.
what you need
- Instant pot
- Blow torch (optional)
- Campfire (optional)
- 3 Spanish onions (large)
- 3 tbsp butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp worcestire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme leaves(dry)
- 32 oz beef broth
- Shredded Gruyère or block Swiss cheese
- Day old (or toasted) French bread
- Diced green onions
this is how we do it
1. Caramelize (fry til rusty brown) the onions, butter and salt. This can be done ahead of time and just stored in the fridge til you’re ready.
2. Add everything to the instant pot. Set the pressure cook button to 3 minutes.
3. As soon as the 3 min are up do a quick release (throw a towel over the vent and push it open with a wooden spoon or long utensil until the pin drops and allows you to open the lid).
4. Spoon the onions evenly into the bowls, pour the soup over.
5. Add the cubes French bread to the soup, top with shredded cheese and green onions in oven proof bowls.
ONLY if you know how to use said blow torch.
Actually never mind, just put the bowls on a baking sheet and broil til golden in the oven
I did not use oven proof bowls and just let everything melt itself and it was still amazing.
So there you have it. A quick and beautiful French onion soup recipe that will impress anyone you choose to serve this to 😘