It’s fall so everything I cook has a beautiful backdrop – love it!
I grew up having this potato salad at every big holiday and NEVER not on a holiday.
Maybe this should be called holiday potato salad or a meal in itself potato salad or colourful potato salad?
Whatever you choose to call it know this – it’s damn good. If someone took the time to make this for you than they must love, or at least like you a whole lot.
Let’s get to it!
what you need
- Big pot or instant pot
- Absolutely NO reason or holiday required to make this
- 6 baking size potatoes, boiled whole til fork goes in firmly (you will be cubing (small) these after they are boiled so you don’t want mushy
- 2 cups of frozen peas (thawed, not cooked)
- 6 dill pickles, teeny tiny cubes
- 1 lg carrot, firm boiled like potatoes, diced small
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped rough
- 1/4 red onion, diced fine
- 1/4 cup mayo, or to taste
- splash Pickle juice, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cut dill
If you use an instant pot for the potatoes:
- 1 1/2 cups water in pot
- Trivet in place
- Whole potatoes PIERCED, on trivet
- Set to seal and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes
this is how we do it
1. Gently mix the potatoes, carrot, and onion together til combined.
2. Add in the eggs and peas, stir gently. Once combined add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour or so.
This makes a gallon ziploc worth of salad.
Want to amp it up more? Add tuna or ham and make it even more lunch worthy.
I solemnly promise to make this way more now that I remembered the recipe!
Like maybe just make it on a Wednesday in January or some other random time …wow such a rebel am I lol.
Shmaznego! (Polish version of bon appetit)