This beef stew recipe is made in the instant pot and it will blow your mind.
Historically, I am not a beef stew lover. The beef never came out right for me in the slow cooker and the taste was meh.
I would make it for those die hard meat and potato fans and they seemed to enjoy it but for me it wasn’t one of the cool kids ya know?
I have a brand new appreciation for beef stew now and actually crave this on the regular now.
what you need
- Instant pot (6 or 8 quart)
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- 2 lbs stew beef
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp worcestire sauce
- 4 cups potatoes, chunked
- 2 cups carrots, 1/2” chunks
- 4 cups beef broth
this is how we do it
1. Coat the beef in the flour/s & p and garlic powder mixture. Fry up in batches in heated oil.
You can do everything right in your Instant Pot on the sauté function!
2. Set the fried beef aside.
3. Sauté the onion and celery. When you feel happy with their doneness (golden onions) go ahead add the garlic and turn off the sauté function or stove.
4. Add everything else. Set function to soup / stew or manual pressure cook at 35 min. Make sure vent is set to seal!
5. When the timer goes off do a quick release (tea towel over vent and cutlery to punch the vent over or open).
6. If you would like to thicken the stew make a slurry of 2 tbsp corn starch and 2 tbsp water. Add some soup liquid to the slurry to warm it up and then whisk everything back into the pot.
At this point I put the lid back on the warming instant pot and set the table.
This recipe does not disappoint! And as the temperature drops…
…this is the perfect dish to warm you up.
Serve with rye bread.