They say, you can’t always get what you want and they’re right but…if you try some times, you get what you need.
Sometimes what you need is pho and there isn’t a pho place around you.
Other times you don’t feel like going out. Sometimes it’s both those things.
That’s how this noodle bowl was created.
Cravings appear to be a powerful motivator for me.
This noodle bowl comes together quickly and is highly customizable to what leftovers you have or if you’re a vegetarian.
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, halved *see notes
- 2 cups blanched broccoli florets
- 8oz pkge rice noodles
- 1 tsp evoo
- 2 tbsp white parts of green onions, fine slice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, fine mince
- 3 1/2 cups stock (boullion cubes are totally fine)
- 2 1/2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 cup carrots, matchstick
- 1 red pepper, thin slice 1/4”
- broccoli, bite size cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, basil) you can use dry too don’t sweat it
- Diagonally thin sliced green onions
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Edamame beans
- bean sprouts
- matchstick radishes
Real shrimp has a head – surprise! and that’s how they sell it in most places when it’s fresh like Spain and Greece.
- To de-head the shrimp plunge the shrimp into boiling water.
- spin them around until they are pink 1 min or 2
- remove from water by draining into a strainer.
- Cool off
- when cooled, start popping the heads off and cleaning as per usual
Blanching the shrimp before taking off the heads omits all the gooey grossness (trust me).
My friend showed me this trick and now I share it with you. Who knows maybe I’ll make a video tutorial one day 🤷🏻♀️
this is how we do it
Cook the noodles as per the package directions (don’t overcook!)
🥦 If you don’t have cooked broccoli on hand feel free to plunge large florets in with the noodles. Cut to bite size afterwards.
Sauté the green onion white parts in evoo til soft and fragrant.
Add in the ginger and garlic, cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
Stir in the broth, soya sauce and matchstick carrots, let simmer 5-7 minutes til carrots are tender (less if they are really REALLY matchstick size).
Add green part of green onions, red pepper and shrimp (halved). Simmer 5 minutes. Till shrimp are fully cooked ( not mushy when squeezed) but lightly firm.
LAYER INTO 4 BOWLS LIKE SO:
- 3/4 cup broth overtop
- herbs and peanuts
- drizzle with sriracha, chili oil, hoisin sauce
This soup is a craving buster pho sure.
Pantry wise I always have rice noodles and bouillon cubes.
Try to keep green onions and peppers stocked as well.